Friday, July 6, 2012

Music to My Ears and to My Soul

If you're normally a creative person, but find that you're hitting a brick wall, then sometimes all you need is a little kick start of encouragement. One of my favorite things to do is listen to music. The music itself can inspire my emotions and mood and ultimately what I want to paint. If it's soft piano, then I may want to paint soft flowers or water. If it's upbeat, then something bright.

I like to have students divide a paper in thirds and draw the same subject on each section of paper and then pick three completely different songs and have them select the colors based on how the music speaks to them. There's no ultimate right answer. Some may think a song is soft, whereas others think it's boring. Or some may feel a song rocks, but others find it obnoxious. And the colors that convey these feelings can differ from person to person. When I ask students to tell me what color comes to mind when they think of the word peaceful, some say cool colors like blue, green, purple, but there are a few who say red or black. Sometimes what you love about a painting, might not even be what the artist was trying to convey. It can be frustrating and isolating to not have someone 'get' what you are trying to say, but it can also be one of the wonderful things about art. One piece of art can speak to many people in a multitude of ways. It's versatile and personal. 



So if you're feeling a bit 'blah' today, go find a radio or visit one of my favorite websites, pandora.com. Put in a song and get inspired!

(One of my favorite songs  - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cp6F2orRYo - inspired the flower in the center. )

No comments:

Post a Comment