Friday, July 13, 2012

Destroying Creativity

Fear. It can be one of the fastest ways to destroy creativity. The next level seems daunting, so we retreat to the safety of what we know. Problem is, creativity seems to go hand in hand with growth and if we're not growing and learning, then we not only stop creativity, but sometimes we can start losing what we had. We may have to relearn what we knew or have to rebuild momentum or it could be we miss an opportunity altogether. Most times the wall remains, it has not moved. Only time has past, and been lost.

We all need to take a break from time to time and rest. Gather our strength and courage, but only you know if you are resting or procrastinating. Usually at the root of my fear is failure, but experience has shown me time and time again, it's not the failing that destroys my creativity, it's stopping or worse retreating. I've retreated sometimes too far and too long and lost what might have been wonderful experiences in my life. All because of fear. I have regrets. And it's those regrets that move me on. I cannot go back and fix them, but I can choose to try and not make more. I don't want to miss out on what I could have in this life. Do you?

"Courage isn't an absence of fear. It's doing what you are afraid to do. It's having the power to let go of the familiar and forge ahead into new territory." ~John Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment